Frequently Asked Questions


 When are the City Wide Garage Sales

The City Wide Garage Sale will be held Friday June 10th, Saturday June 11th, and Sunday June 12th 2022.  You are encouraged to provide signage or means to draw attention to your address.

 What are the city hall office hours?

City Hall is open Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Clerk may close for lunch) Additionally due to the small size of the city, there will be times the clerk closes to complete necessary errands. 
City Hall is closed for the following holidays: New Year's Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday after Thanksgiving Day, the day before Christmas, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas. 

 What is the garbage pick up schedule?

Garbage Collection is every Monday morning. It is best to place your garbage receptacle at the curb on Sunday night.

Regarding the Holiday pick up schedule.
Holidays only affect pick up if they fall on a Monday. Then pick up will be on Tuesday. If the holiday falls on any other day of the week; Tuesday through Sunday, our garbage pick up day will not change.

 Are we allowed to burn?

At this time it is legal to burn yard waste. Yard waste is leaves, dried grass, tree branches, twigs and garden or plant refuse. Even though it is legal to burn these items please observe these common courtesies:

Fires must be attended at all times. Don't burn wet or green grass that causes excess smoke. If it won't burn put it out and let it dry. Burn when the wind is calm. Fire should be extinguished if it is blowing toward your neighbors house. Be respectful of you neighbor should they have windows open or laundry hanging out.

 How do I sign-up for curbside recycling?

Call Waste Mangement at 888-960-0008 to sign-up. Tell them you are an Elk Run resident. The cost is $5.00 and they bill quarterly. The pick-up is every other Thursday. We have had a good response to the curbside pick-up. Remember the recycling bin located at city hall is still available to you at no cost.

 When are utility bills due?

Utility bills are due every quarter. Bills are mailed, January 1st, April 1st, July 1st and October 1st.  Payment is due by the 15th of the month they are mailed in. A 10% penalty charge will be added to bills paid after the 15th.

 Where do I take my yard waste?

The City of Elk Run Heights has a contract with the City of Evansdale for use of their yard waste facilities. The Evansdale Yard Waste Center is located at the Evansdale Treatment Plant in Deerwood Park. It is open year round seven days a week and hours are:
  • Monday    7 am – 7 pm
  • Tue - Fri    7 am – 4 pm
  • Sat – Sun  10 am – 7 pm

 Only brush, grass and leaves are allowed. No bags, garbage or wood chips and no Commercial Business Use.

 Who do I contact to rent the community room?

Contact City Hall to reserve the community room. You can stop in or call 319-232-0020. The cost is $50.00 for Elk Run citizens and $100.00 for those outside of Elk Run. You need to stop in city hall to pay the rental fee and sign the agreement.